Thursday, July 30, 2009

2 Days


We are here and I have picked up my race kit for UMC, so it is official, I am doing this thing!  The last few days have been filled with getting things together, getting packed and catching planes. I am happy to report that everything went smoothly and we had no issues travelling with the bike and all of our luggage arrived safely.  


We stepped out of the airport to some beautiful summer weather, it was 35 degrees and humid, such a change from the cool rainy temperatures we have been getting in SW Ontario. I was a little stressed but then realized it is all good, I have my Endurolytes and my crew will be on top of hydrating me and keeping me cool.  We got to the hotel and we ended up getting a great little place that is pretty cozy at the Days Inn.  We made the important trip to get beer, seriously, do you think any other ultraman athletes are going to be consuming any beverages while out here? After getting our drinks we went out for a little run, the temperature was 34 degrees and it was 6:30pm but in all honesty it wasn't to bad. I don't mind humidity, it just requires a little more attention to what you are doing and how you are pacing.  We went out to dinner and actually got to meet a few of the other UMC athletes, it is interesting b/c there is so few of us and there are pictures on the website, so we are recognizing each other. We had a dinner and were struggling to keep our eyes open as we waited for our food because of the time change.  
Woke up this morning to another hot and sunny day. Peggy arrived and we headed out for a nice breakfast overlooking the lake and mountains. We went and checked out the bike and running store and did a little shopping and Steve got my bike and bike gear ready to rock and roll. 



Today was registration day and I went and got my kit and met some of the other athletes. Everyone involved with the race has been so friendly and very helpful. I got to finally meet Darwin who has been keeping email contact with me over the past few months, he was so friendly and encouraging, it was great to finally meet him and also John who is here doing his first Ultraman as well.  It is such a great vibe from the other athletes and volunteers you can tell that this is going to be so different than an Ironman, it is just a whole different ball game, but I like it. Some of the athletes seem pretty intense and hard core, which I find enjoyable but it isn't that overwhelming intensity that can occur at Ironman. I love the fact that I have a crew that is super fun and low key but highly motivated to help me get things done. I have been having so much fun with my crew, we went through the course binder as we enjoyed a cold Corona I realized that I have the best people here with me supporting me and I know that even through the hard and challenging sections that they will be good at pulling me out of the rough patches, here are a few pictures of Steve and Peggy today as we were going over some of the race plan. (Susan landed this afternoon and is on her way here now!)





1 comment: