Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Final Countdown...

So much to do and I am running out of time! Seriously, I had a bit of a panic the other morning when I realized I was flying out to BC in a few days (one week today to be exact). Where did the time go? I will admit I am a little more stressed about the organizational aspects than the race at this point. I am comfortable with my fitness level and I know mentally I am prepared. I was given a gift yesterday by 2 very special ladies in my life and it made me realize that I am strong and I have people that believe in me and want me to succeed. It was such a great feeling and it has me excited to be finally approaching race day!
However, I am feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of things that need to get taken care of in the week leading up to departure day. Luckily I have great people accompanying me on this journey and they are helping to take care of the things that I hadn't even thought about.
Probably the biggest comfort about UMC is that it is a team event. Yes, I am competing in the race as a solo athlete, but this event is unique in the fact that each racer has a support crew that will be out on the course with them to provide support and encouragement and help deal with any little bumps along the way. I am lucky to have 3 amazing people acting as my support crew. Susan, Peggy and Steve are all heading out to Penticton with me and I am so honoured to have such great people going through this with me. Each one of them understands what this event means and has been so supportive of this goal. As support crew they will be there to help deal with any issues that may arise mechanically on the bike, make sure that my nutrition intake is what it needs to be and keep me moving towards the finish line. Each of them is prepared to run with me on the final day and the thought of just having them there suppoting me and encouraging me, I couldn't ask for better friends! UMC is going to remember our crew if nothing else, we are going to have some good times and there will be lots of laughs....and some good beverages, lol!(hopefully they can stay out of trouble!!) I will update this post with a picture of my awesome crew soon! Along with supporting me through the 512km they will be updating my blog and posting pictures so that all of you can see how the race is going! So before I forget I want to just take one minute and express the biggest thank you to Susan, Peggy and Steve: without the 3 of you I don't know that I would feel as confident going into this race. All of you have given so much support and encouragement to me already and I know that you're all excited to be part of this race and I am honoured that you are actually looking forward to spending 30 hours in a van together to get me to that finish line! I know that I have the best crew there is, so thank you and I love you guys!!

No comments:

Post a Comment