Saturday, August 1, 2009

Ready, Set....

Just about to crawl into bed to get some sleep before the big day tomorrow.  Really tomorrow isn't the "big" day, which will be either day 2 or 3 (I am undecided at this point which one deserves the credit as the "big" day) but tomorrow is the start of what I have been thinking about and working towards for the last 11 months. It is amazing when something that starts out as a what if kind of thing is finally upon you. It has been an amazing journey and tomorrow is just the start of the celebration of everything that has led up to these next few days.
Had our pre-race breakfast this morning and our team made an immediate impression, lining up for the food before the race director gave us the go ahead (but seriously, hungry triathletes and yummy food--would you be able to resist??) The breakfast was great to meet some of the other athletes and crew members, but I was starting to get overwhelmed as we approached the 3 hour mark, but luckily it wrapped up and we were able to tackle some of the errands we needed to get done. Darwin surprised me with a very nice Makaki that will protect me and my crew while we are out there, I am so touched by his thoughtfulness and the kindness that everyone is showing, it is just such an amazing feeling being here.  Thank you Darwin!  John C also said some amazing things to me and I was so touched, it has been so nice to have another newbie to talk to over the months and I am so excited for him, I know it will be great to be supporting each other out there. He has had a few hiccups in the first few days here but I think it is good to get it all out of the way before the race begins!
Headed to Skaha Lake to do a final swim and again I was amazed by how clear the water is here. It is going to be such a great swim, clear water, surrounded by mountains and only 30 of us in the water, another nice difference from Ironman!
We did a bike ride to check out some of the route and I have to admit, I got a little down on myself, the temperature said 39 degrees and I couldn't believe how hot it was, I put very little effort into the ride but was still sweating buckets. I started to second guess myself and was feeling pretty low, but was able to turn it around. I got some very encouraging words from my crew and my sister and I realized that this is all part of it and all I can do is stick to my plan, listen to my crew, let them do what they are here for and we will be fine.  They are here to make sure I get what I need and help me reach the goal of crossing the finish line. I have to trust them and do as they say because they will know what I need. They have been so terrific and I am so thankful to have them. You guys Rock!  
So it is off to bed, I had a good dinner and some good laughs. The bike is ready to go, the van is ready to go, the coolers are packed, the bento box is full and I am feeling pretty calm. 
I started this journey with some big dreams and over the past 11 months my life has changed dramatically and I have looked at this race more as a journey to getting back to being me. I am excited for the challenges that lie ahead and all that matters is crossing that finish line on day 3 with 3 of the greatest people in my life. (it would only be better if my 2 girls, parents and sister could be here, but I know it will happen one day!)
So thanks for your encouragement and well wishes, I am glad you are here reading and sending me positive vibes. For the next few days if you could think about cold things, like ice cream and air conditioning, maybe I won't melt in the 36+ temps they are calling for!! 
More tomorrow from Day#1!

No comments:

Post a Comment