Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Tanned Biking Legs

Have to admit that I love that the summer weather has finally arrived! I love the heat and sun, especially when I am biking. There is something about biking in the hot weather that makes you glad to be outside! It turned out to be a perfect weekend for biking, I got in some good challenging rides and am really happy with how I did on all the hills. We headed out on Sunday and I felt pretty strong the entire ride. There was some intense climbs but I never felt that I was outside of my comfort zone. The second half of the ride I attempted to play around with my gearing on the hills because SV pointed out that on day 2 of UMC, I will need to conserve as much energy as possible. I struggled at first but then it got more routine and I didn't feel the need to muscle up every climb, so it did feel more efficient. It is great to get feedback and advice from such a strong rider. Ended up holding a really strong pace for the entire ride and I was happy with my nutrition, feel like I am on track with all of those things for race weekend.

Monday could be described as relentless. Not only did I do a nice hilly ride but I was bombarded with a slew of emotionally draining emails that had to do with the warped situation that has become my old relationship. It is amazing to see the way things are unfolding and how the situation can become so strangely twisted, but in a way I am glad because it is all proving to me that this was the best thing I could have done and despite their best efforts, I am staying strong . I let the emails come at me, but rather than to react to them, I put their negative energy into my bike ride and I found myself attacking the climbs and getting the gearing that I had been shooting for the day before. I felt strong and smooth as I rode and it felt so good to take all the negative emotions and feel it turn around and finish the ride feeling like I could do anything! It was a great confidence booster! If I can deal with all of that negativity and drama for 2 days and still ride strong, I know I can get through UMC!

1 comment:

  1. No doubt you can do it, BB! So happy it's warming up for ya.

    ReplyDelete