Sunday, April 19, 2009

Day 3

I got a little sun burnt today. I have been pretty good with the sunscreen so far, but somehow today the shoulders got a little red, I know poor me, but it was a long day out there today and one I wasn't 100% ready for. I had the impression that today was going to be an easier day and we were riding out to Sheri's parents, having a dip in their pool, then driving back and I had some athletes to work with, a yoga session and nutrition workshop. Somehow I missed the part of the morning ride being challenging and 83km. Not sure what I was expecting, but I packed 3 bottles and only 2 gels, plenty for a 8am ride. I again headed out with the "studs" and we picked up 2 new riders, but no other girls decided to come with us. We headed out much the same way we rode yesterday and I was feeling pretty good, we took a small pit stop for some of the boys to water nature and we were given a choice, we could go around or we could do Sugarloaf again, I didn't say a word and was hoping that the around route would win out, I should have known better as they all were up for Sugarloaf, they said we would do the back side(or front side, still not sure) and seeing how we did both yesterday I asked for clarification, once they explained it I said, so we won't be going up the side that makes me run out of gears at the bottom, lol, I didn't find the way we were going to be that bad so I was pumped if they would have made me turn and do the other way well that would have been another story. From there we headed out to Dewey which was a 9km out and 9km back of varying degree of hills, we were to ride on this for as long as we want and some of the groups were going to do technical skills etc. By the time we got to Dewey, our group had split up a bit, I was with 3 of the guys and the rest were behind us. We did the first 18km on the road and I was pretty much out of fluids, I had no gels left and the hills were starting to kick my butt. I was happy to just sit and wait for the other groups to catch up, well the guys put a challenge down, Dwayne shared some fluids with me and Steve promised that we would ride the 9km out strong and spin back easy, only problem with that theory was on the way back we were going into the strong wind and the biggest climb was into a head wind. I of course couldn't be out done by the guys (like I said I am a little type A) so I told them all where they could go (I was smiling though so it was nice!) and took off with them. That 9km hurt but I hung in there and at the turn around I was talking myself into only 9km more, I rode by the boys and told them that I hated them all, lol, they didn't seem to concerned. By the time we had finished we put in 83km, not at all what I had planned for but I certainly was happy with how I did, I am feeling really strong on the bike, all those long rides on the trainer are paying off, Sheri even compliment and told me that I was riding really strong! It made me feel good and I am more confident with my riding for UMC. here is a pic of me and the boys at the end of our 83km
(Dwayne, Ed and Steve.) The rest of the afternoon was spent coaching at the pool, getting groceries, doing yoga, a nutrition workshop and now getting ready for tomorrow. I am going to take a day off from a long bike ride and do 2 swim workouts (Headed to the NTC at 6:30am) and a long run.(should be fun in this heat!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment