Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 2

Another sunny and beautiful day here in Clearmont! Got up at 5:45am and headed out for a solo 13km run, it is a lot warmer here than at home and I could really feel that this morning, but I ran into a beautiful neighbourhood and then found the Orange Grove Trail ( I think that is what it is called) it is a great trail with packed sand(some of the sand is bright orange) I felt pretty good on the run and was glad to get it done before it got really hot!
The athletes went and had some videotaping of their running form done and I hung out and chatted with the hubby and then I headed over to the pool to work on form with the swimmers with Len. It was great to talk to Len who is just a phenomenal athlete/triathlete. I think that all of the swimmers we worked with today enjoyed the changes we made and I loved helping all of them, at the end of the session I had the hugest compliment from Len, he told me that he thinks I am a great coach, the best swim coach he has met, Sheri agreed with him and he continued to compliment me. I was honoured, it means a great deal to hear someone of Len's caliber to give me a compliment that large.
At noon we headed out for a bike ride, we ended up having 3 groups, 1 group was going to do a flatter route, one group was going to go hilly but not super challenging and then the 3rd group(the studs) was going to go challenging and do Sugarloaf (which I had no clue what it was). I had planned on going with group 2 but then at the one section we were waiting to continue and I decided I wanted to ride harder than the second group was going to go, wasn't sure I could keep up with the 3rd group, but I thought what the hell, so Dwayne and I decided why not and took off with the other 4 guys. I think at first the 4 guys were a little annoyed that we were with them but they soon got over that. It was a tough ride, I had this misconception that Florida is flat but not where we are! We had a pretty challenging ride and I am proud to say that I held my own, I worked hard on the hills and loved every second of it. I haven't rode with people in a long time and it was nice to be with some super riders. I ended up surprising the boys , as I ended up keeping ahead of 3 of the guys in the group. Simon told me I was doing awesome and that I was punishing the boys. He took us to Sugarloaf which is a awesome hill, we did it twice, on the way down I reached my top speed of 80.7km/hr, which was insane, I loved every second of it, turning around the hill is so deceiving, I ran out of gears not even half way up the hill, I was stoked, it hurt and was hard but I love being challenged and I reached the top of it and wanted to do it again,lol. The coolest thing, this house at the top of the hill puts out jugs of water on the weekends for all the cyclists out, the sign tells you to help yourself and if the jug is empty to put it in the driveway and they must refill it, how amazing is that. the remainder of the ride had us into the wind or climbing another hill but it was great, I felt pretty strong and in the end we did 68km, it wasn't as long as we had planned but we thought we were going to be late getting back in and the other groups would be waiting for us, but it turns out we beat them all back. Got some fuel in my body and then I headed to the pool for 5pm and I did a short swim in the pool and then we had a yoga session and a workshop. Going to pack it in for the day and have to coach again tomorrow and do some more biking and swimming!

No comments:

Post a Comment