Friday, August 14, 2009

A few things...

thought you might enjoy these interesting things about the UMC race:
1.  24 athletes started the race, 19 athletes completed all 3 stages.
2. of those athletes there were 8 women in the race.
3. 4 women finished in the top 10
4. 8 records were broken at UMC this year.
5.  I biked and ran farther than I ever have in my life.
6. I had only 2 blisters on my left foot after running 84km and have lost 0 toe nails.
7. The temperatures reached +35 degrees on all 3 days.
8. I consumed 0 gels for this race
9. I wore 3 different pairs of shoes in the 84km double marathon (changing at 42 and 63km)
10. I had a small chafe point on my neck after the 10km swim
11. The first competitor from India competed and completed in UMC
12. I got to run with and ESPY award winner
13. people (not myself) saw a baby bear on the run course.
14. I hydrated well on all 3 days, proven by the several pit stops I took each day
15. If someone hands you something to drink at 63km into a run and says drink you will, even if it is straight from the can beef broth (yummmmmm)
16.  Girly bits get very "puffy" after sitting on a bike seat for over 9 hours
17. I counted my strokes to 100 seven times for each km for the entire duration of the swim. (it kept my mind occupied)
18. I took an ice bath and wore my compression pants after every day and felt good the next morning, along with stretching and ART by Dr. Peggy
19. less than 450 people in the world have completed an Ultraman and I have the honour to be among them!
20. I could not have started or finished this race without the support and strength that my crew members gave me. Peggy, Susan and Steve are such positive and strong people and they believed in me and kept me going when I was mentally and physically depleted. They never complained and kept us running smoothly. I love them for all that they gave me and the smile they were able to put on my face even while I was crying!  I truly feel I had the best crew out there (and this was confirmed by several other athletes) they are wonderful people and I am so glad that we got to do this together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment