Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Days 3 and 4

Man, this camp is kicking my butt! Seriously, it has been a pretty intense camp so far, Barrie does a great job of making sure that everyone's needs are met and I am feeling it.
We headed into downtown Tucson to check out the area the other night and we found some great little places.
Day 3 we got to sleep in a little before we headed to the pool...we swam with the young guys and we did a pretty good workout. Caron then led the group in a core/yoga workout on the grass. The weather was insane, when we left to head out for our ride the car read 94 degrees..very stifling..a group of 5 of us headed over to do Gate's Pass while the others stayed around here and did their ride. Gate's Pass was a pretty good ride, but at times I felt like I was in a sauna...it made breathing hard and the last climb was so intense because of the heat. I have been getting my butt handed to me by the guys here, but I am holding my own pretty well I think. At times the testosterone levels get quite high and I get dropped, but never by too much. I am enjoying having people to chase and I know that if I get a flat one of them will be changing it for me, lol! After the ride Barrie had put in an optional run off the bike...I wasn't thrilled about doing it but SV and I decided why not...so off we went...I am really noticing the altitude on the runs here, not sure why it effects me on the runs compared to on the bikes, but add that into the 90+ temperatures and I suffered on that run...but it was a short one, so even though we were pushing hard it was over quickly...Day 3 was a tough long day with over 5 hours of training done...My body was tired and I barely managed to stay awake through dinner.
Day 4...hard to get out of bed...but we had a speed run to do today..I could have gone on a long aerobic run but if my goal is to try my hand at some shorter races I figured I should attempt some speed....man what a silly idea! There were 6 of us that did this run, it was 8 x 600m (with a run back recovery on 6 minutes) Sean and Taylor are these fast running machines, seriously it is impressive to watch! I found this a very tough workout, not a lot of rest by the time I ran back to the starting point and by #6 I felt like I was going to vomit... After the fourth repeat Barrie offered me the option to do 4 x 400m to finish up along with the other girl that was doing that, but I had already committed to doing the 600's....but it was tempting...To say the least I am tired now..speed work is an aspect of running I have never enjoyed, well not true, I really enjoy that it is over now!! We are just about to head to the pool for our swim which Sean promises will be a lot of pull!
So far the camp is great, intense and a great ass kicker for sure. I am tired, hungry and sore...what a great vacation!

No comments:

Post a Comment