Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 5...Mt. Lemmon part 2

When we headed up Mt. Lemmon the first time I didn't know what to expect but once I was done I was really looking forward to attempting it a second time. SV and I were happy with how we had done the first time (I finished about 3 minutes behind him) but we decided to see if we could go up faster the second time... though I had some worries about pushing too hard and blowing up, it would be a really long climb if you pushed hard too early....Barrie split up the group so that the slower riders started at 8am, then a group of us went off at 9am and then the 3 young guys to leave at 9:30am...the goal being that we would all end up at the top of the mountain at roughly the same time.
As we were getting our bikes ready it was colder than the first day and Barrie was telling us that the wind could be a bit of an issue as it was pretty strong head winds...hmmm..that could make things interesting. SV and I started around 9:20 (I didn't think that I would be able to catch any of the people who started earlier and that the young guys would be catching me quickly). As we rode the 4 miles to the start of the climb, I told SV to not worry about me because I didn't want to try to stay with him and push too hard. Both of us were feeling all the training we had been doing and weren't sure if getting to the top faster was something that could realistically happen. We decided to have some fun and do the best we could.
The first 5 miles were good, challenging right from the start but we were chatting and checking things out, there weren't very many people on the mountain but we did see a giant lizard on the road. At the 6 mile mark, I realized we were in for a tough ride...we hit the head wind and it took my breath away. I could not believe the power of the wind and how hard I had to work to keep my bike moving upwards. When we would turn and get a tail wind it was a beautiful thing, unfortunately there were very few times when we had a tail wind. The gusts were pushing us towards the middle of the road at times and then at other times pushing us towards the gravel. I was gripping tight to my bars and scared by the feeling of my bike being pushed to the side...very intense. Close to the 12 mile mark we turned a corner into a very nasty section of wind and climb, one of the ladies in our group must have been knocked hard by the wind as she was trying to get back into her peddles but the steepness and gusts of wind were making it impossible for her, SV and I pushed hard but at times I didn't know if I was going to be able to make it, the wind was brutal.
We stopped at the 14 mile mark (windy point) and put on vests and arm warmers, it was getting cold and we still had 11 miles to climb. I looked at our split and didn't think it was possible to go faster today but with the conditions we didn't care, just getting there was going to be worth it. At no point along this climb did the wind let up...The wind added a great challenge but very exhausting. I was able to stay with SV until the 19 mile mark and then he started to put some distance into me...as we climbed I began to get really cold, the temperature was dropping, I had put some gloves in my jersey and it was difficult to control my bike and get them on but I managed...The last 5 miles were great, there is a section of down hill that I really enjoyed, it was so great to get a break and I worked really hard to catch one of our group members, Bob, who I managed to catch at mile 24. (he outraced me to the finish on the down hill telling me he couldn't get chicked at the end, lol). I caught almost everyone in front of me and the young guys didn't pass me, Yay!
Getting to the mile 25 mark was wonderful, it was so great to be done and to head into the warm cookie shack (they had the fireplace going and it was so warm!!) SV was waiting for me and we both ended up reaching our goal of getting to the top faster, SV took off a minute and a half and I took off just over 2 minutes (and closed the gap between us to under 2 minutes!! which I am pretty happy with to be honest, especially with how difficult the conditions were compared to Sunday...) We split a peanut butter cookie and a cappuccino which warmed me up, we sat in the warmth with the rest of the group talking and waiting for the others....a few people decided to bail on the ride down and I have to admit that I was pretty nervous, the way up had been dicey in sections and I was pretty intimidated by the force of the winds and the decent that I still had to do. SV and Barrie told me to just take my time and I would be alright. I was the first one to head off on the decent, I was dreading going down and I really just wanted to get it over with and I figured that the rest of them would catch me. All I can say about the decent was that it was rough. I think I held my breath for most of the ride and have never hung onto my bike so hard in all my life. I was tense and terrified in sections and have never been happier to be done a ride in all my life but at the same time I am proud of myself for doing the decent even though I was scared of it! None of the other riders caught me on the way down so that was pretty cool too, but I think everyone took extra caution on that decent. SV took some video of the decent that he and the 3 young guys did (they were not as cautious as I was lol..), I will post a link in the blog soon so you can see and hear how insane it was.
I am really impressed with the Mt. Lemmon ride, it is beautiful and challenging....and to make things even crazier they are doing an inaugural Mt. Lemmon Marathon this year...thought I would post the link because I know some of you out there may just be crazy enough to want to give it a go http://www.mountlemmonmarathon.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment