Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Week off....

It is reading week and I am finding myself with an unusual amount of time on my hands. I have already done my pre-reading for next week and am happy with how my mid-terms went. I am enjoying the break from school but I miss class at the same time. With all of this extra time I have decided to work on "the becoming a triathlete again" goal and since SV and I have been discussing our race plans for the summer, I figured that I should get going and am doing a reading week "camp".
I started with a good ride on Sunday, it was an aerobic effort but with the excitement of the gold medal game I ended up working a little harder than I had planned. It felt great and I loved the ride. Legs are remembering what it is like to be a cyclist again, slowly, but I'm on my way. Monday, SV and I headed out for a run, we did 10km and I can promise you it wasn't pretty, there was wheezing and spitting and I thought my lungs might burst. Several times I wondered why in the world I was running so hard when it was only March 1st..but I couldn't bring myself to back off..SV kicked my butt on this run and I loved it even though on several hills I wanted to kick him, lol...We followed the hard run with a swim. Not sure if you have ever tried to go swimming after a run, especially a hard run...well there is a reason they put the swim first in a triathlon. I was spent and struggled with some calf cramps during this swim, but we were able to get in some distance in a short time and I was happy that we were able to do both these workouts. We had a yummy lunch after and in the end it was a great day. I was beat by the time I got home and enjoyed a quiet night with the girls.
Tuesday I got on the trainer and did a solid aerobic bike workout. The sun was streaming in through the windows and it made me wish I was biking outside. I know it won't be long until we can be riding outside and I can't wait, biking on the trainer can't even come close to being outdoors, but it was a solid ride. I am feeling stronger on the bike, so hopefully when it comes time to hit the roads I will be where I was last summer. I finished up the day with a yoga session and was feeling nice and relaxed afterwards.
Today the sun is shining once again and I am heading out to do a run and follow that up with a nice long yoga session. So enjoy your day, I know I will!

1 comment:

  1. Ha ha (swim off bike). Stage 3 of TTT is a starts with a 40 km ride that has a huge descent/climb in it, then 1500 swim, then the hilly 10.9 km run. Calf cramps are not the biggest issue, its the hamstrings that go in the water, not to mention the ugliness of trying to put a wetsuit on in transition (and taking it off is another campfest)!

    ReplyDelete