Monday, March 1, 2010

Truly Canadian!

I Can't believe the Olympics are over. What an amazing 2 weeks. I was brought to tears by many Olympic moments and so inspired by all the courage these athletes showed.
Like many I am proud to be Canadian and very proud of all of our athletes for putting on such a great display of athletic ability, incredible moments and sportsmanship.
Today is a little bit of a let down, not being able to turn on the tv and get swept away by the highs and lows, determination and motivation that have filled the last 2 weeks. I have become hooked on some new winter events (ski cross...awesome!!) and I do not think that I have ever watched this much Winter Olympics coverage ever and I can't wait for 2014!
Until this week I haven't truly been Canadian...I have a confession to make... I have never sat and watched a hockey game before.. I can't even skate.... I know, I know...I grew up in a hockey town but I was the "swimmer." I have never understood people's obsession with hockey and have never even wanted to watch the "play offs" and I had never tuned into any Olympic hockey coverage. When the worlds juniors were on I innocently asked SV what a "power play was...does that mean that they get more points?" which was met with a silent stare (even my sister knew what it was) I realized I really should know more about hockey but just didn't find it all that exciting....Well this past week changed that for me. I watched one of the semi-final games and was happy that Canada made it to the gold medal round. Then last night I watched the Canada/USA game and thought it was awesome. I had planned to ride the trainer and watch the game but had no expectations of enjoying it, but wow what a game. It was awesome and our trainer ride turned out to be tough because we were so pumped by all the action on the screen and rode hard...I loved it and was so excited when Canada won gold. I was glad that I gave hockey a chance and that I was able to witness such an exciting moment in Canada's Olympic history.....can't say that I will be tuning in to watch hockey on a regular basis but I will at least once every 4 years!

1 comment:

  1. AAAAh...totally better than UFC eh??? ;) ~ Alyssa

    ReplyDelete