Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Road Trip

SV and I are enjoying our motorbike adventure...this is such a different trip for both of us...we have no schedule, no places to stay, nowhere we need to be...we are just going wherever, whenever...all we have with us is what we were able to fit into the 2 panniers, 1 backpack and a tank bag...this is very little (we both over pack...always) but I have some skills when it comes to packing and I managed to fit in as much as possible.
Day 1 was an exciting one, both of us were pumped to start our adventure... we agreed to go as long as we were comfortable and just decide where we were going as we went... our friends Sue and Brian have a cottage in Brockville and they invited us to pop in and stay the night if we wanted...which we gladly accepted...it was a beautiful spot and we enjoyed spending the night and next morning with them...the first day was 5 hours of riding and we were both happy to get off the bike that night...but still excited to head out the next morning.
Day 2 was a shorter day of riding, only 3 hours, but we had decided we wanted to head to Lake Placid and stay the night there...it is a very beautiful drive to LP and so much more enjoyable on the back of the mbike...we woke up this morning and walked around the main street for awhile checking out the shops, but given our space situation we weren't really interested in shopping! We did a swim in Mirror Lake, SV loved the line in the water (for the Ironman course) which made sighting unnecessary, but I was so cold after 45 minutes that I decided to get out..it is a great lake to swim in but I was needing my wetsuit big time, hadn't thought the water would be so cold at this time of year (I have only swam there in June and July) but SV didn't find it too bad, although he was shivering just as much as I was when he finally got out after an hour. We then headed out to run around the lake...it's just over 4 km around and a very flat route, which is a great change from home! I don't know that I can honestly call what I was doing out there as running but I plodded along...some hip pain for sure, but I am the first to admit that I am a stubborn one! SV had a great run and looked strong...after that we had a great little lunch and discussed where we were headed...Burlington, Vermont was the next stop..we had an hour drive to catch the ferry that would take us to Burlington, it was a beautiful drive and some great windy roads, so much fun! The ferry was interesting, my first ferry ride and it was an hour long...once we were in Burlington we sat and had a coffee, neither of us were sure if we wanted to stay or keep moving...after some entertaining/interesting people watching we decided to keep heading East...and wound up in Stowe, VT...what a great little place..lots of history here and so quaint. We enjoyed a great dinner and then strolled around the town...very romantic little spot!
Tomorrow it looks like we are going to get wet, but I'm excited to try out my rain suit...we are continuing East and seeing how far we get before we call it a day.
So far our total riding time is about 10 hours. We have come upon some wildlife...1 beaver, 1 falcon, 1 jumping fish and a camel...yep that's right a freaking camel here in Vermont!!
I am loving the trip so much better than any other road trip, the motor bike is a great way to travel and I am learning some interesting things along the way, which I thought I would share with all of you...in no particular order these are the lessons I am learning on our motorbike adventure:
1. The view from the motorbike is amazing...with no other distractions I can't believe how much I am seeing while we are driving...so many breathtaking moments! Truly beautiful being on the bike!
2. Going to the washroom at a rest station is very challenging...not because of the bike pants and boots but the not wanting to take off my helmet and the difficulties that comes with trying to do all bathroom related activities while having very limited vision!
3. It is not possible for me to chew gum while riding on the back of the bike...Again the helmet, along with making me feel like Bauble Head Barbie...the padding inside the helmet pushes my cheeks inward and puts my cheeks in prime position for biting...yep not pleasant and after several hard chomps I decided this would be the last gum chewing while I was riding.
4. Communication is possible while we are riding. Before we headed out, SV and I had discussed some ways we could communicate and created some hand signals...but the funny thing is we have barely used them...we just seem to know what the other person needs or is thinking which is pretty awesome and just another thing I love about our relationship...we can say so much with a squeeze or hand hold!! I know when we are going to go fast, I know when we are going to have some fun with the windy roads or when SV needs his back rubbed! I love pointing things out to each other and knowing that we are both enjoying the trip!
5. I finally am able to see the difference between an Adirondack chair and a Muskoka chair and I have to say that Muskoka chairs are the far better chair...no comparison!!
6. When SV asks me if we should stop for gas now or later...the answer must ALWAYS be yes!! It was a very intense 30km while the gas range was at 0 and there was no gas stations to be found...but we now know that the gas range indicator lies slightly!!
7. It is possible to have a nap while being a passenger on the back of the motor bike...not that it is the best idea but I was starting to head bob, which with the helmet was very difficult to fight and I knew that I should really get SV to pull over or something but before I did I guess I drifted off for a little bit...it was about 20 minutes but I woke up feeling 100% better and wide awake...SV said he could feel my helmet hitting him in the back and knew I was drifting off and made sure I was secure...love him!

So for now those are things that I have discovered on this trip...I'm sure there will be more, can't wait to find out what they are!

No comments:

Post a Comment