Thursday, November 26, 2009

Base in Paradise

10 days in Laguna Beach, California at the Ritz-Carlton. Seriously what can be better than that? SV and I travelled to LA for a conference for his work. It is the most beautiful area I have ever been to and this was my first vacation that wasn't centered around a race. To be honest I was a little nervous leading up to it because I wasn't sure what I was going to do for 10 days. I am not one of those people that relaxes well, or so I thought...
We arrived to blue skies and warm weather and it only got warmer every day that we were there. Our plan was to attend the functions that SV had to attend but then spend the rest of our time doing as we pleased.
We headed out the first morning for a run after a nice American breakfast at the Ritz, thinking we would do a nice and easy 12km run. What we didn't realize was how hilly the area was.

What started out being a nice easy run turned into 1km hill repeats! Seriously, 1km of climbing to the top of a hill followed by descending and starting the next hill. I got to the 6km point feeling like I was going to be sick. I was huffing and puffing so hard and I didn't know how I was going to make it back to the hotel. At one point Steve made it through the light and I didn't. As I waited I could feel my breakfast making it's way up.... I have never had such a feeling of discomfort during a run. To make each run even sweeter the Ritz is situated at the top of a bluff maybe 300 m in length but steep as anything, and after 12km it was torture (this picture is of the path to the top.... the finish being up at the 4 palm trees--people would actually take a shuttle up to the hotel--wimps!!)

We were able to get out for 4 runs while we were there.... each run was 10km of
hills and 2 km of flat. My body is feeling this unfortunately. I have had a nagging hamstring thing for about a week before we came here and by our last run I was in some pain. I think that I will take a few days to try to work through whatever is going on there, however a massage and the TP ball aren't doing much to help with the pain I am having, so I think it is time that I turn myself over to Dr. Peggy.
SV and I also wanted to swim while we were here. California in November..... we had to swim outdoors. We had looked at the hotel pool and contemplated doing some workouts in there

but we decided it wasn't going to be much of a workout.... so we searched out area pools and were happy to find the Laguna Beach High School and Community Center Pool.

It was a great outdoor pool and we were able to go and swim 3 times while we were there. There is something so wonderful about swimming outdoors that those of us in Canada don't get the opportunity to experience enough. Our swims were great and we both are feeling so strong in the water. It would have been great to do an ocean swim but neither of us brought our wetsuits and swimming in a heated pool just seemed like the better option.
It was a great vacation, we were able to spend time with some great people..... enjoyed some parties, and there was dancing. The food and restaurants that we found while we were there were absolutely yummy.... every meal was to die for. So even though we were doing some intense workouts (at the start of our base training) we balanced it nicely with some indulging in the good life. Ahhhh......

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh yes, the outdoor pools. They can make almost anyone LOVE swimming. Looks like a fab holiday -- you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete