Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Training Camp...AZ Style!

I am in love with Tucson...this was our 3rd year heading down to train and it turned out to be a solid 9 days of fun/training.  Our friends Big Tom and Tracy came with us...Tom is going to Worlds this year too and was excited to get some training in...He and SV called us "Team RumRunners".
 I put together our training plan before we headed down...this way there couldn't be any changing the schedule when we were tired/sore (or had drank too much rum).  I am happy to say that we stuck to the plan...there was some grumbling, dragging of feet and "love/hate" relationship moments between the  3 athletes and the coach (including myself,  I found myself wondering what I had been thinking!,lol).
The weather was perfect...slightly warmer than other years and we took advantage of the sunny skies and hot temperatures.  Big Tom, SV and I all had one workout where we suffered but we supported each other through the low points and it ended up being a great team week...got all of us excited to travel together in October when we head to NZ!
This is the fourth time I have headed south in April to train and I love the fitness that I come home with...it  amazes me how strong I feel when I come home from a week of training outdoors...imagine how wonderful it would be to live in a place that training outdoors year round (in a comfortable climate) was a reality...hmmmm...maybe one day!
We racked up just over 22km in the pool, over 700km on the bike and 45km of running...Very happy with the way my body responded to the training camp, felt stronger each day despite the accumulating fatigue and soreness.  Had a couple of PB moments in workouts and other than my "girlie bits" not wanting to be on the bike another day I felt like I could have kept it going.  First race of the season is this Sunday, totally excited to be toeing the start line again and regardless of what the clock reads I am going to celebrate a great few weeks with some Eggs Benedict!!

 SV and I heading out for Ride #1
 Big Tom and Sv 

 SV and I...around mile 15 on Mt. Lemmon
 Big Tom and I after Gates Pass
SV and I getting ready to do speed work!

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Bryan says,"Good old BACARDI! Breakfast, lunch or dinner of CHAMPIONS!"

    ReplyDelete